Thursday, January 18, 2007

No, Hon, you can't....

We were at TGI Friday’s, after a bit of shopping and schlepping Freshman Daughter’s gear back to campus after the (WAY too long, IMO) holiday break. A little quiet dinner, a drink, some reassuring conversation etc. Well our server was “Junie” who was way too friendly for my taste, but she meant no harm. We ordered a round of drinks, and mine was my customary Jameson’s, straight up, ice on the side. So far s’ok. In a little while Junie came back and said “We’re all out of Jameson’s Hon (!) can I bring you a Maker’s Mark?”

Now I said nothing about the “Hon” which as far as I’m concerned marked Junie as one step above trailer trash, but never mind. Where I got into trouble was this: “No, thank you, that isn’t even close. Maker’s Mark is bourbon and Jameson’s is Irish; do you have any Bushmills?” Why, I was queried immediately by family females, couldn’t I just smile and ask for Bushmills? Sensing a series of accusations of curmudgeonliness in the offing, I pointed out that a server in a place where booze is on offer really ought to have a clue as to the nature of the wares she’s expected to furnish – if for no other reason than so that she will not appear to be a dunce when suggesting substitutions. No, no, no, not a bit of it, I was being a smartass. I didn’t think so; I didn’t rave and fulminate and phumpher about her ignorance (never mind her inappropriate familiarity – the proper form of address is “Sir” not “Hon”), but wife & Freshman Daughter were having none of it, and I wore the hair shirt all the way home. Well, maybe not all the way, but at least as far as the next town.

But really; shouldn’t a waitress (or other server) know the difference between bourbon (even very nice bourbon, which I’m sure Maker’s Mark must be) and Irish? And not call people they don’t know “Hon?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi - I'm delighted you've been inspired to contribute. Please don't post commercial links though.