Thursday, January 11, 2007

Partum Shot

This will never work. Right up front that needs to be said - this will never work. I approach this with a Buster Keaton expression on my heart's face, knowing that it's here and must be dealt with, and having pressed the buttons and clicked the clicks and navigated past that "Your blog has been created!!" notice and past the "Start posting" command - and it IS a command, not a cheerfully offered optional opportunity. Once you clickety-click on the infernal create-my-blog combination of clicks, and it's THERE, dammit, you are obligated to populate the sucker, because lord knows you don't wanna be one of those fraidy-cats who won't "put it out there" nor one of those don't-wannabes with nothing to say. I mean, EVERYONE has something to say, right? And - sadly I fear - the Web has afforded everyone an opportunity to say things right out in the open that would better have lived their brief & brutish as tossed away mumbles. But there it is, and against my every fear, this opening has in fact turned into a "meta post" - a blog post about blogging. I oughta be shot.

2 comments:

  1. Har! I'm with you on the ambivalence/hubris conundrum of the blogging phenom. There are days when I feel like the blog is nagging me to say something, but who'd wanna read what I think anyway? Then there are other days where I'm inclined to pontificate or commiserate, but nobody at home wants to hear about it. Then - yeah! - there's the blog patiently waiting.

    My little secret: I obsess over the blog stats, even -- especially -- on days when I don't post a thing.

    I miss the Porch. Or more accurately, I miss the Poachers. I hope they find their way to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Porch was empty, and moribund (if not already dead). If there is reall interest, it's a few mouseclicks to reopen it.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - I'm delighted you've been inspired to contribute. Please don't post commercial links though.