Friday, August 20, 2010

What is it that makes us decide we want to see a movie, and order it in,

and then let it sit on the coffee table of the family room for days on end ("bogarting the queue" we call it) until we either decide we don't want to see it after all and send it back unwatched, or else we decide we're in the mood for it and finally devote a couple of hours away from Cops and World's Dumbest to actually watch something at least ostensibly artful, or else we decide "Geez I'd better at least put it in the DVD player" and we do, and give it 20 or 30 minutes, and like as not walk out on it, and sneak it into the mailer and back to the post office with all due stealth. I think there shoulda been a question mark up there after "stealth" but I"m too lazy to go back and see if that was really all one sentence. Good for me if it was.

I think it's because Netflix gives the impression of being free & unlimited. But bogarting the queue is a bad thing, especially if more than one person feeds it, and tastes are not shared. I gotta cut that out. So I"ll watch The Road and Transsiberian over the weekend. Honest...

4 comments:

  1. What is even more fun, is guessing the star rating on unwatched movies as not to hurt Mr. Flix's feelings that you din't watch it.

    codfish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'know it's funny - I NEVER rate the movies, and in fact I rarely even pay attention to anyone else's ratings either. Except maybe Roger Ebert - anyone who can tell an actor "Your movie sucks" gets my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found 'A Midwifes Tale' at Netflix. It's a must see for a Yankee/poet/historian/writer/UNH /person of Harris leather-patched elbowness. When we were in Potter Place I was introduced to Laurel Thatcher Ulrich by her husband and, at the time (just after she won the Pulitzer), had NO clue as to who she was. I put on a good act though, and hope she bought it.Sometimes it's good not knowing, you don't freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, have you seen: Garrison Keillor - The Man in the Red Shoes?

    ReplyDelete

Hi - I'm delighted you've been inspired to contribute. Please don't post commercial links though.