Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I watched "The Lion in Winter" the other night

The one with O'Toole and Hepburn from '68. It is a monumentally good film. The language is amazing, the characterizations phenomenal (Anthony Hopkins' film debut as Richard I the Lionheart), the photography stunning (and to my eye at least VERY historically accurate).

Favorite lines:

Eleanor, when John (the pustule) whines that Richard has a knife: "Of course he has a knife. You have a knife, I have a knife, we all have knives, it's 1183 and we're barbarians."

Henry, when, upon learning that Henry has decided to have the Pope "annul her" and get a new batch of kids, since his sons are such putzes, Eleanor asks "To Rome?" and Henry says "That's where the keep the Pope."

The script is rife with lovely gems, but those two have always stood out for me. And their final exchange, as Eleanor is back in her barge and headed back to her imprisonment:

Henry: I hope we never die!
Eleanor: Me too!
Henry: Do you think it might happen?

and they both laugh, and laugh, as Eleanor's boat heads down river toward the channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi - I'm delighted you've been inspired to contribute. Please don't post commercial links though.