Thursday, August 20, 2009

I played golf with my best bud today

and my first point of insecurity has nothing to do with golf but with whether the guy I've known since 1962, and have been pals with since 1964, and who has in fact been my "best bud" since about 1966, should be referred to with more capitalization. I dunno. Played golf with Huz today. I haven't played golf since about 1963, when Dana Parker and Mike Robinson and I hiked (literally) to the Sagamore course in Lynnfield and whacked balls around mercilessly (and totally unproductively, in golf terms). I was about 16 or 17, and we played about five or six times, it being summer and we being headed into our senior years in high school, and more or less unemployed, and it was something to do. I sucked at it, as I recall, but no one was any good, so who cares.

So today I was a duffer wannabe out on the course with another slightly more experienced duffer wannabe, and another somewhat more experienced (and talented) duffer and his teenaged son who was doing his best not to embarrass Dad (and he succeeded, he wasn't horrible). Somewhere around the middle of hole two I realized we weren't really counting strokes so I stopped counting strokes and it instantly became more fun. I have no idea what my final stroke count might have been ( I do know that on more than one hole I said "Ah fuckit" rather than keep trying to putt the ball into the cup) but I had fun, and at the end of nine holes there was a place to have a snort of Jameson's.

What could be bad? I suspect I'll play golf (or as Wodehouse has it "the gowf") again.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I'll bet that 'Huz' guy is thrilled that you had a good time. It would not surprise me to learn that he'd really like to push back a bit and get a commitment for some rounds in the future.

    Perhaps, if he's anything like me (and I suspect he is), he's a bit apprehensive about pushing too hard.

    You should do four things: consider the ball to be in your court; step up to the plate, appreciate the mixed metaphors, and suggest a tee-time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where did the notion of "pushing" come from? Sorry Anonymous but I fear you misinterpret the nature of the whole mischigoss. Your mixed metaphors seem to portray the transaction as a competitve one, and that's precisely what it isn't, at least as far as I'm concerned. Why pushing gets into it I don't know; it wouldn't have occurred to me that there was pushing involved. I'll have to rethink, if you're right.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - I'm delighted you've been inspired to contribute. Please don't post commercial links though.