Friday, June 28, 2013

So the second meeting of the new group* last night; first "critique" meeting, where

four of us actually put "skin in the game" to use one of my favorite phrases. Of the eight of us, two were entirely new faces, six had been at the "organizational meeting" two weeks ago. After heroic efforts on the part of the Organizer failed to find a completely appropriate venue (library, for example) we met at a local Panera, who seemed not to mind us sitting there for two hours for the price of a couple of coffees. As long as there were no paying customers standing waiting I guess it's ok - works to their advantage to be seen to have groups of people using the place. It ain't Deux Magots, but I guess ya takes whatcha can get. An interesting, disparate bunch of folks, with some interestingly divergent views on writing (the process as well as the product). A promising endeavor, so far. So watch this space...

* This is Writing Group number 3 for me, number two in terms of active groups; the previous "number two" fizzled out, though one or two of the folks from it have shown up in this new one. When I mentioned to a pal that I had joined another writing group, he asked, "What's wrong with the other one?" Well, nothing or course, but if one is good, two will be twice as good. I guess I should have asked why he bothers to play golf at more than one club.

1 comment:

  1. I actually had a drink at Deux Magots, when I was visiting Paris with my spouse in the mid-80's. It was raining heavily outside and it was very cozy inside.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - I'm delighted you've been inspired to contribute. Please don't post commercial links though.