Tuesday, June 5, 2012

At a certain age, I suppose we need to start expecting

to stop being shocked at the news that (another) old classmate - college, high school, whatever -  has died. Loudon Wainwright III's new album Older Than My Old Man Now contains a bunch of tracks more or less themed on the contemplation of getting on in years (he and I are nearly exactly contemporaries, missing by six weeks or so) including a track called "Somebody Else" (a collaboration with Chris Smither) which opens with "Somebody else I knew just died." Well in my case it's a guy from my high school class ('64), someone I knew somewhat but was never pals with or anything. What's got me writing about it is that I'm wondering how I feel not about poor Tom's demise so soon after retiring to his refuge in Vermont, but how do I feel about the guy who has more or less appointed himself the guardian of the class of '64, and operates under the assumption that we ALL want to know EVERYTHING about what's happening to EVERYONE in the class. Now this guy's a decent sort, he really is, heart of gold, yatta yatta. And he has a cohort of (female) minions (well, two, actually, so maybe a pretty small cohort) with whom he conspires to keep mailing lists up to date, and concoct reunions, etc. etc. And more power to them, really, but I foresee that the "Somebody else we knew just..." emails are going to accelerate as we start pushing 70 with shorter & shorter sticks. And I really don't want to email the guy and say "Hey Joe, I appreciate your thinking of me but..." because I don't want to be included out of news from 50 years ago. On the other hand, a LOT of those people didn't matter to me then, and they're not likely to matter more to me now simply because we've topped the crest of The Hill in parallel and are now progressing down it simultaneously. I had a great time in high school, had some good pals, smoked shitloads of cigarettes and burned tankfuls of gas roaming around doing nothing, got my share of nookie, etc. and have warm fuzzy feelings about some of the folks I shared that with. But it's going to get really tiresome hearing about the snuffles and farts of the rest of the 150-some-odd geriatrics as they begin to wheeze and waddle their way down the red carpet that leads out the door of the here & now into the what's next (if anything). I'm not annoyed or anything, just conflicted. More about this, no doubt, as the emails from Joe (or Fran or Pam) begin to become more frequent.

1 comment:

  1. Here's the thing, I think. It now becomes a sort of game of who made it this far and who didn't. Like a 'last man standing' sort of a morbid version of 'hide and go seek'! When the last guy has only one name on his mailing list - his - then the only one left to mail the news to is himself - emphasis on "only one left". The rest are all gone and no matter what they've accomplished, "I am still standing (maybe blind and on crutches)!" or "I can be the last story-teller"! This is probably true no matter what group you've belonged to. Life goes on but "I was the last" and I ought to let the rest of the world know it while I still can. It could end up being a measure of "quantity" versus "quality" of life for whatever groups I belonged to. "He was smarter but I lived longer - ha! ha! ha!" And, of course, I can ALWAYS find a group where that's true! Somehow or someway, I can be the "Last of the Mohegan's" and come out on top (of all those smart guys who beat me at everything else)! The ultimate competitive ground could be "survival"! Could be one explanation.

    Joey

    ReplyDelete

Hi - I'm delighted you've been inspired to contribute. Please don't post commercial links though.