Thursday, September 2, 2010

Slippery Slope

The parts still work, mostly,
though some not as well,
as formerly.
And I don’t feel that
I’m as well, either,
as I used to be.
The insults to the tissue
still heal, if not as quickly,
and illnesses, so far,
have fled with time,
and rest, and lots of fluids.
Unused days pile up,
like unstopped newspapers
on the stoop,
one more thing forgotten.
Then slip away as if
the wind snuck up
as we were bending over to
gather them in.

It hasn’t started yet,
the long slow slide of
irretrievable decline,
as life outlasts
ability to live it.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked this one ... perhaps you have to be on the other side of the "slippery slope" to feel it. Especially I thought "Unused days pile up, like unstopped newspapers on the stoop ..." hit home. Thanks ...

    Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing that when you start to feel it, a little, it's begun. One can only hope the rate of acceleration is low, at least at the outset. As long as one is still not at the point where one doesn't expect to recover (howZAT for some piled up contravening negatives?), one isn't really in decline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of your best, it's on so very ON.

    I like the lights and darks.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - I'm delighted you've been inspired to contribute. Please don't post commercial links though.